– crocodiles live in warm places because they are cold-blooded;
– in captivity, they can live up to a hundred years ;
– cassowaries are an endangered species (but I was lucky enough to spot 4 specimens in the rainforest !)
– the Great Barrier Reef stretches over 2300 km ;
– giant squids catch their prey by their tentacles, then they eat it using their beak ;
– Japanese macaque can live up to 30 years. They eat cicadas (looks like a beattle) ; sperm whale eat giant squids ;
– New Zealand is set between the Indian-Australian and Pacific plates. This situation explains all the volcanic activity. For that reason, they are called the shaky-islands ;
– in volcanic areas, the rotten egg smell comes from sulphur ;
– the Maori people arrived in New Zealand by boat. They called the island “Aotearoa”, meaning “land of the long white cloud”.
This is a sample of what I learned during the last few days.
Huggs and kisses. Alvar.